don't be scared...
just because this is only day one post of a two day trip,
doesn't mean I'm going to share an obscene number of pictures and stories...
Ok, you caught me...
maybe it does..
:)
Actually it's not that bad...
so let's dig in!
it all began with a train ride...
a very cool 3 hour and 20 minute
Northeast Regional Amtrak train ride that took us thru a few major Eastern locales
including: Baltimore, MD; Wilmington, DE; Philadelphia, PA & Newark, NJ
just to name a few...
it was very cool to take a train.
much less annoying than flying..
there was something very "earthy" about it... like we were accomplishing something as we rode along.
the landscape changed from fields, to forest to graffiti covered tunnels...
we saw beautiful country estates and low LOW income housing that really didn't even look livable...
other than the fact there WERE people living there..

after our Newark stop...
we could look out the window and make out tall buildings off in the distance...
then all of the sudden, we headed out of the sunlight..
deep underground..
it had never occurred to me that we would not be traveling THRU the city...
but instead below it...
I could see the close quarters of the tunnel we were in,
I began to get a bit claustrophobic...
but then (just prior to becoming neurotic)..
a quick opening appeared...
and I caught my first glimpse of the city above...
i started getting excited!
Off the train we went into Penn Station...
who knew Penn station was completely underground...
shops, restaurants, about 15 Starbucks..
i think New Yorkers like Starbucks even more than Californians...
and THAT'S saying something...
anywhoo...
after a brief crisis,
( I lost Laughlin for about 10 minutes and thought I would be forced to live forever in the NY subway system)
I was on my first Subway ride from Penn station...
to 53rd and Lexington..
on the E train...
or was it 28th and Madison...
on the 6 train...
yeah... I never quite got the hang of that darn subway...
reason number 104 that I was certainly glad to have my hubby with me!
we arrived at the W hotel...
it was oh, so swank...
and i was worried... because I didn't have my Manolos on...
(and because I don't OWN Manolos)
but luckily I found...
MOST New Yorkers wear sensible shoes...
there was the occasional crazy shoe...
but that girl looked uncomfortable...
and like she wasn't a local... :)
OK, back to the story...
on the 9th floor I had the coolest views...
i could easily check if there was a cab
(or two... or ten...)
waiting for me downstairs...
then there was this
directly across from my room...
which all my fellow "Coming to America" fans will think is cool... :)
(Waldorf Astoria hotel)
We threw down our bags and headed out...
I brought my trusty navigator (a.k.a Laughlin)
First stop was times square...
it was pure madness...
it reminded me of Vegas...
completely overwhelming...
I can only imagine this place on New Years Eve... yikes!
Got my pic with Carrie from Sex in the City...
(yes, she was one of the only ones there in heels)
we even saw the Naked Cowboy...
Then we headed out...
determined to make it to the Empire State building
before heading back to get ready for dinner...
we passed this interesting (scary) sign...
the top of the Empire state building was SO COLD!
I'm not a huge heights person, but the view was pretty cool...
but the best part was the history of this landmark building...
102 floors, 1252 feet, 381 meters high.
It was completed in 1931 ahead of schedule and $17M UNDER budget...
the entire thing was constructed without any safety harnesses...
pretty amazing feat...
Then we ventured back to the hotel...
took a much needed nap...
then headed back out for dinner at a lovely italian restaurant...
we "bar hopped" back to our room...
to stare at our "abstract" art...
apparently every room in the hotel has them...
Laughlin and I decided it was just a picture of knuckles..
shot from a weird angle...
what do you think??? :)
stay tune for day deux... coming soon :)














No comments:
Post a Comment
Tell me what you think! :)